Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass Trek Highlights
This amazing trek is so remarkable in the sense that it offers abundant opportunities to travelers that are beyond human imagination.
- The Gokyo Renjo La Pass Trek offers a quieter and more remote experience. You'll often find yourself surrounded by the solitude of the pristine Himalayan wilderness
- Being in the adventurous Lukla airport and trekking to the cultured village of Phakding is utterly significant.
- Namche, the capital of the Khumbu region, and an excursion to Everest View Lodge for the first view of the world's highest peak and its neighboring mountain will simply add up to your anticipation.
- There is a profound feeling of inspiration and admiration to find yourself in the secret valley of Khumjung, Dole, and Machchermo.
- Explore the Hidden Gem of Gokyo Valley which is often less crowded making it a serene and picturesque location.
- Listening to the account of the "Machchermo YETI INCIDENT" that occurred around 1974 is something not to be missed.
- Finally Gokyo with a breathtaking view of turquoise blue glacial lake and the world’s 6th highest mountain Cho-Oyu at the backdrop is out of the ordinary.
- Climb to Gokyo Ri presents you with a vast understanding of why this trip is so incomparable. The achievement of getting close to 18000 feet is something unimaginable.
- Going over Renjo La Pass, one of the most beautiful pass in the region offering you the most baffling view of Everest and its neighboring mountains is hypnotic. The pass is a high point of the trek both in elevation and natural beauty.
- Getting to the different valleys of Thame, the birthplace of Legends who are well connected with the Everest Climbing History and their legendary world records gives anyone much pride and pleasure.
Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass Trek Overview
Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass Trek take you into the sacred legendary valley of turquoise lakes and stunning mountain views. It is certainly one of the most beautiful tourist destinations in the world heritage site of Sagarmatha National Park.
Gokyo is more of a sanctity for Hindus and Buddhists as a residing place for Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. Flying to Lukla and the walk into the legendary trail is undeniably an incredible journey.
Furthermore, it offers you outstanding mountain views together with a dazzling series of turquoise-blue freshwater high-elevation glacial lakes. Being at Gokyo Lake which is nestled and very well-fenced by the high mountain range is simply remarkable. One could hardly imagine the existence of such a divine setting at such elevation with such beauty.
About Gokyo Lake:
The Gokyo Lake is considered one of the most beautiful and scenic destinations in the Everest region. The main Gokyo Lake, also known as Dudh Pokhari, is the largest and most prominent lake among the series of lakes.
The main Gokyo Lake is situated at an altitude of approximately 4,750 meters (15,580 feet) above sea level. It is in the Gokyo Valley, which lies to the west of the Ngozumpa Glacier, the largest glacier in Nepal.
The lake covers an area of about 42.9 hectares (106 acres) and has a maximum depth of around 43 meters (141 feet). It is a freshwater lake that appears as a serene turquoise body of water surrounded by snow-capped mountains and towering peaks.
The Gokyo Lakes hold religious importance for both Hindus and Buddhists. They are considered sacred by the local Sherpa people, who believe that the lakes are the residing place of protective deities. Every year during the Janai Purnima festival, devotees visit the lakes to pay their respects and perform religious rituals.
Visiting the main Gokyo Lake and exploring the Gokyo Valley offers a unique and awe-inspiring experience. It gives you a great sense of comprehension of Nepal's natural beauty and mountainous landscapes.
Beautiful Renjo La Pass (5360 m/17,585 feet)
The highlights of this trip are the gorgeous lakes, the climb to Gokyo-Ri, and the enchanting Renjo La Pass (5360 m/17,585 ft). All these offer you extravagant panoramic mountain views. Leaving behind the gorgeous Gokyo we gradually pace toward the different valleys ascending towards Renjo Pass. This 5360 m pass has a history of delivering one of the most beautiful views of Everest and its neighboring mountains.
Moreover, it’s without a doubt a great accomplishment to get to the top of this challenging pass. Besides, it provides you with awe-inspiring moments that are sure to be immensely significant in the coming years.
Renjo La Pass, a name that resonates with awe and adventure, summons travelers to experience the ethereal beauty of the Himalayas. Renjo La Pass stands as a testament to the raw magnificence of nature. Witness the soaring peaks touch the heavens and tranquil glaciers glisten under the golden rays of the sun.
Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass Trek Trip Summary:
The Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass Trek usually takes around 16 to 18 days to complete, including arrival and departure from Kathmandu.
The adventure begins with a thrilling flight to Lukla Airport. The trail passes through several Sherpa villages, allowing you to experience the unique culture, warm hospitality, and traditional lifestyle of the Sherpa people.
Soon You will reach Namche Bazaar, a bustling Sherpa town and an important trading hub in the Everest region. Take a rest day here for acclimatization and explore the local markets and monasteries. Trekking through Namche and Khumjung, the valley inside the clouds we eventually walk the delightful gorge of Gokyo.
The view of the soaring ridges and royal snow mountains is away from the world. Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass trek is certainly yet another beautiful option to the regular and commercial Everest base camp trek.
Eventually, we cross the challenging Renjo La Pass (5,360 meters), which is known for its dramatic and rugged landscape.
The Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass Trek is considered a moderately difficult trek. It involves long days of walking, steep ascents and descents, and high altitude. We highly recommend the prior trekking experience and sound physical fitness for this trip.
To undertake this trek, you will need two permits:
- The Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit and
- The Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Permit.
These permits can be obtained in Kathmandu or in the Everest region itself. However, Nepal Pyramids organizes all essential permits and paperwork prior to your arrival in Kathmandu.
Best Time to Trek:
The best time to undertake the Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass Trek is during the Spring (March to May) and Autumn (September to November) seasons. Spring and Autumn seasons deliver better weather conditions with clear skies and moderate temperatures.
The Gokyo Lake and Renjo La Pass Trek is certainly a thrilling adventure. It combines breathtaking natural beauty, cultural exploration, and the challenge of high-altitude trekking. It is an experience that will leave you with lasting memories of the Himalayas.