Upper Mustang August Festival Trek Highlights:
The trek offers a blend of natural beauty, cultural exploration, and historical significance. Some of the main highlights include:
- Scenic Jomsom Flight: Jomsom flights, where your journey to the heart of the Himalayas begins with a breathtaking aerial symphony, revealing the rugged beauty of Mustang at every turn.
- Visit Pokhara: Pokhara, where the tranquil waters mirror the majestic Annapurna range, and every sunrise awakens a new adventure. A city of serenity and dreams by the lake.
- Deep Gorges: The trek takes you through the Kali Gandaki Gorge, which is considered the world's deepest gorge. The breathtaking views of the towering cliffs and the river flowing below are truly phenomenal.
- Unique Landscape: Mustang has a distinct and arid landscape, resembling the Grand Canyon in the United States. You'll witness eroded cliffs, colorful rock formations, and barren valleys that create a surreal atmosphere.
- Forbidden Kingdom: Until 1992, Mustang was off-limits to foreigners, making it a forbidden and mysterious land. The trek allows you to explore this ancient kingdom and witness its preserved culture and traditions.
- Guru Padmasambhava: Mustang holds significant importance in Tibetan Buddhism as it is associated with Guru Padmasambhava, also known as Guru Rimpoche. You can visit monasteries and sacred sites linked to his teachings and learn about the Buddhist heritage of the region.
- Ghar Gompa: Ghar Gompa, the first-ever monastery built by Padmasambhava around the 7th century is mesmerizing, and a visit to this monastery is a lifetime opportunity.
- August Festival: Witnessing the August Festival is another quest to comprehend the culture of Mustang with all the colorful dancing and playing of instruments
Upper Mustang August Festival Trek Overview:
August, is the month when all trekking destinations in Nepal will still be closed due to the harsh summer monsoon. But again August is also the month when Nepal's monsoon season is almost to its end. Being a rain-shadow area Upper Mustang opens its door for trekkers even during this monsoon offseason. It is during this time Upper Mustang offers itself at its best with the view and its appearance.
At the final stage of monsoon i.e. August, Upper Mustang observes a fascinating festival, very typical that is very lively and colorful. This Upper Mustang August Festival is also popularly known as the "Yartung Festival". The Upper Mustang August Festival Trek provides you with ample opportunity to enjoy the Mustang in full, unlike the Tiji Festival of May.
Much like the Tiji festival occurring in the month of May, the Upper Mustang August Festival is a “prayer for world peace”. It is an annual event of the natives to honor the victory over evil. Unlike the Tiji festival, there is not much rush, and the maddening crowd yet very fascinating. However, anyone can make the most out of it with ample opportunity to witness this marvelous celebration.
The celebration of this three-day religious ceremony is fundamentally to strengthen the hope of the people of Lo. The native has faith in the legends of a deity being reborn and bringing an end to all the evils and suffering. To mark this, monks in their colorful costumes and masks dance to the soothing rhythm which is simply magical.
NOTE: Make sure to confirm the dates of the Upper Mustang August festival Trek as it is based on the Tibetan calendar and the moon phase which changes occasionally.
Upper Mustang, The Treasured Beauty:
This ancient kingdom of Mustang was open to the outside world only in 1992. It is one of the most astonishing valleys hidden behind the soaring snowy range of Dhaulagiri and ANNAPURNA. A journey to Mustang is a journey of remarkable contrasts with vast and barren Tibetan landscapes and unharmed culture. It delivers century-old cliff-hanging monasteries, cultured settlements with lush rice fields, and timeless traditions.
The Upper Mustang August Festival Trek takes you into the deep magical Mustang that appears more like a Grand Canyon. Furthermore, It is a forbidden kingdom and a source of the world's deepest gorge, Kali Gandaki which is simply phenomenal. Mustang also gives you an ample account of Guru Padmasambhava, popularly known as Guru Rimpoche, the founder of Tibetan Buddhism.
The Upper Mustang August Festival Trek is a unique trekking experience that takes you to the mystical region of Mustang in Nepal. This is a vibrant and culturally significant festival celebrated in Lo Manthang, the capital of Mustang. The weather during August is generally favorable, with warm days and mild nights. Upper Mustang is often referred to as the "Forbidden Kingdom" due to its restricted access until 1992.
The maximum altitude reached during the Upper Mustang August Festival Trek is usually around 3,800 meters to 4,200 meters (12,467 to 13,779 feet). While the trek involves some uphill climbs and high-altitude passes. Nonetheless, it is considered a moderate-level trek in terms of altitude difficulty.
Yartung Festival or Upper Mustang August Festival
The Upper Mustang Yartung Festival is a captivating and unique cultural event held in the mystical region of Upper Mustang in Nepal. The Yartung Festival, celebrated annually, is a grand display of local traditions and customs, attracting both locals and tourists alike.
During the festival, the vibrant streets of Upper Mustang come alive with colorful processions, traditional music, and enthusiastic dances. The main highlight of the Yartung Festival is the mask dance performed by the monks.
As the festival unfolds, the locals adorn themselves in traditional attire, showcasing the rich cultural heritage of the region. All these colorful costumes adorned with ornate jewelry and vibrant colors, add to the visual spectacle. The festival is also an opportunity for the community to come together and celebrate their shared traditions, strengthening social bonds and fostering a sense of unity.
The Upper Mustang Yartung Festival also provides a platform for visitors to sink themselves into the unique traditions of the Upper Mustang. It is a cherished event that preserves the local heritage while captivating the hearts and minds of those fortunate enough to witness it.
Join Nepal Pyramids for the Upper Mustang August Festival trek to comprehend this ancient kingdom in full.
Also, Look for: Upper Mustang Tiji Festival Trek