Mardi Himal Trek Overview
Signing up for Mardi Himal Trek is a great way to escape from the maddening commercial trekking destination. It takes you into the heavenly, serene, and less-trodden trekking route. Moreover, there is a beautiful saying “If you seek creative ideas sign up for Mardi Himal Trek”. Furthermore, this very untouched Himalayan setting of Mardi has truly been termed as the hidden gem.
This 11-day epic teahouse Mardi Himal Fishtail trek is one of the most beautiful treks in the Annapurna trekking destination category. It is off the beaten track and less trodden route that offers anyone the genuine wilderness trekking experience.
Additionally, Mardi Himal Trek delivers outstanding mountain views and the serenity of the valley is very consoling. It allows you to escape from the commercial trekking trails into the untouched terrains. This section of the region is still very untouched by the tourism influence.
Mardi Himal Trek Highlights
- Though a long hour's Drive, experience a scenic drive from Kathmandu hotel to Pokhara.
- Being in Pokhara (820 m), Lake City, and watching the tranquil waters of Phewa Lake mirror the snow-capped Annapurna range, one can't help but be swept away by the serene beauty of Pokhara
- Enjoy the serenity of a less crowded trail, allowing you to truly connect with nature and soak in the peaceful atmosphere.
- Stunning panoramic views of the iconic fishtail-shaped Machapuchare, Annapurna South, Hiunchuli, and Mardi Himal itself. The close-up view of Machapuchare is particularly enchanting.
- This off-beaten track ascends through the overwhelming setting of pristine oak and rhododendron forest with a theatrical view of holy mountain Fishtail, Mardi Himal and many other sky-high peaks is remarkable.
- The Mardi Himal Trail is fairly NEW and the alpine village has very NEWLY OPENED basic Teahouses. However, a growing number of tea houses and lodges provide comfortable accommodation and delicious local meals along the way.
- The abrupt change in the valleys and landscape eventually takes you to the jagged high mountain landscape, with miraculous views of majestic peaks.
- An adventurous walk over the extended ridge towards the VIEWPOINT is an exceptional experience.
- Enjoy the experience of standing close to the pristine mountains and glaciers. It's a relatively untouched and peaceful ridge, allowing for a serene mountain experience. The meadows offer a unique charm and a serene place to unwind.
- Finally, descend to the traditional settlement of GURUNGS and a relaxing drive to Pokhara.
- The beautiful Phewa Lake at Pokhara and the magnificence of the Himalayas mounting at the backdrop create an atmosphere of peace and delight.
History of Mardi Himal (5,587 m / 18,330 feet)
Mardi Himal is at an elevation of 5,587 m / 18,330 feet. The history of Mardi Himal as a trekking peak is relatively recent, as it was only opened for trekking in 2012. Before that, the area was restricted for trekking purposes and was only open for mountaineering expeditions.
The first recorded ascent of Mardi Himal was made in 1961 by a team of British mountaineers. The team was led by British climber Jimmy Roberts and included two Sherpa climbers, Ang Nyima, and Kusang Sherpa. They climbed the peak via the southeast ridge, which is still the most popular route to the summit.
After the peak was opened for trekking in 2012, it quickly gained popularity among trekkers. It delivered a less crowded and more off-the-beaten-path experience in the Annapurna region. The trek to Mardi Himal Base Camp takes about a week and offers stunning views of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain ranges.
Today, Mardi Himal is considered one of the best trekking peaks in Nepal, attracting thousands of trekkers each year. The trek is known for its diverse landscapes, including lush forests, high-altitude meadows, and rocky ridges, as well as its breathtaking views of some of the highest peaks in the world.
The ascent of Machapuchare and Mardi Himal:
There is a beautiful history of how Mardi Himal came into existence. It dates back to 1957 when the British team led by Lieutenant Colonel Jimmy Roberts tried to climb Machapuchare Mountain. Machapuchare Peak which is 6,947 m (22,793 ft) is now very popularly known as MT. FISHTAIL. The shapely spire of Machapuchare is one of Nepal’s most striking sights.
A small expedition led by Lieutenant Colonel Jimmy Roberts and Wilfred Noyce had attempted to climb from its north ridge in 1957. However, the expedition had to be abandoned within 50m of its summit, either out of respect for the locals or due to the Sherpas’ refusal to carry on. After this attempt, the government prohibited further climbing on the mountain, so technically it remains unclimbed to date.
However, in the course of time, climbers on their quest to Machapuchae Peak discovered an anonymous peak which now is Mardi Himal. Mardi Himal was first climbed in 1961 by Colonel Basil Goodfellow, Chief Commander of the British troops.
Enchanting Mardi Himal Trek:
Not to mention, the impressive beauty, untouched trail, and magical rhododendron forest give you the taste of a genuine trekking feeling. Since the Mardi Himal trail was opened very recently the accommodation facility is quite basic. Despite the basic provisions of the tea houses in the region, it is worth visiting for its fascination.
It takes you to the exotic and fascinating trail through lush vibrant valleys. Furthermore, the alpine meadows, dense forests, series of waterfalls, and mesmerizing views of soaring peaks upon the skyline are sensational. Comparatively, It is suitable for anyone who wishes to taste the real trekking experience.
The Mardi Himal trek is indeed a hidden treasure. The region very well conserves the serenity of both flora and fauna. It is more about giving yourself a chance to understand the local culture, experience the genuine wilderness, try local delicacies, and make the most out of your travel understanding.
The panoramic views of the massive Himalayan Mountains including the Annapurna range, Machhapuchre (Fishtail), Hiunchuli, Mardi Himal, etc are simply Phenomenal. Come one, come all, and experience the journey of a lifetime. Trekkers also look for Annapurna Base Camp with Mardi Himal Trek.